Sunday, June 13, 2010

LASTING FRIENSHIPS (A POEM WRITTEN TO A SPECIAL FRIEND)

LASTING FRIENDSHIPS (A POEM WRITTEN ABOUT A SPECIAL FRIEND)

This poem is about a special friendship
That I’ve had for over sixty-seven years
How many friendships do you know that last
As many years before it eventually disappears

The first time that we met was in kindergarten
Three years later her mother was my teacher
I guess at that time in our lives
I’d always be able to reach her

I can even remember a time back in grade school when
We both were on the honor roll because we were smart
And also that our birthdays
Are exactly one day apart

After high school like so many others
We drifted apart for whatever reason
But we saw each other at a thirty-five year reunion
And exchanged cards during the Christmas season

Twenty years later the Lord provided a way for us to be reunited
I learned that her children and I live not too far from each other
My friend was flying down to Atlanta for a visit and
That is how I would be able to visit with their mother

A few days later we met for dinner
And caught up on each other’s life
I also met her children and
I introduced her to my wife

The most important aspect about our friendship of so many years is that
Though we live many miles apart we are there emotionally for each other
For we are both grounded in faith in the Lord our God
Just like it should be for any spiritual sister and brother

No comments:

Post a Comment