Sunday, November 6, 2011

AMERICA TODAY

AMERICA TODAY
(THIS POETIC RAMBLING WAS WRITTEN IN THE LATE 1950s)

How can we describe the soul
Of the America we live in today
It’s a massive population
That is rebelling in dismay

The black man hates the white man
Just like the Gentile hates the Jew
The poor cry help and the rich sit back
The America that I know this isn’t you

It could very well be that I’m a dreamer
Perhaps some may classify me as a fool
But the America that I love and remember
Would live each day by the golden rule

The books they taught me with in school
Portrayed visions of a once great land
It was filled with a patriotic fervor
And a helping outstretched hand

America owes us absolutely nothing
She’s given everything that she has got
And when you really think about it
We actually owe her an awful lot

Just how far would we be now
If way back when we didn’t care
Nowhere near where we are today because
Each one pitched in doing their fair share

Even though we have come a long way since that time
Still the nation’s outstretched hand don’t reach us all
That may even be the reason given why
Some chose to evade their country’s call

What makes America tick today
Why does she scream and holler
It’s the obsession to climb to the top
Just to caress the almighty dollar

We built this country from nothing
With each generation giving more
To make it easier on the next one
A worth deed that we now deplore

It shows up in our present population
As we observe that ungrateful clown
Who wants to start at the very top
And slowly work their way on down

It’s a very touchy subject when we discuss
The present trying to compare it to the past
The solution is to do whatever we can
To solve the problems that were cast

The difficult part of this whole scenario
Is that I’m really not sure where to start
What about you yes you and you
Each one of us must do their part

The principles that I believe will make it work
Are hard work deep faith in God and loyalty
With a few transfusions in the right places
Life could go back to the way it used to be

There will be some who would disagree
And don’t feel the same way that I do
But over all America’s been good to me
Enough for me to shout out, “I love you.”

I could probably ramble on an on
About its good points and its bad
But I’m living here today and now
A fact for which I’m mighty glad

I’m asking for your hand to help restore
Us back to the land of the brave and free
A land of peace and brotherhood and love
That will include justice truth and liberty

I promise to do my utmost
To help us restore the lag
So let’s look ahead to the future America
And keep your eye on that grand old flag

No comments:

Post a Comment