Sunday, March 14, 2010

PRINCESS

PRINCESS

This is the story of a mixed breed dog
That was my childhood pet
She was partial to one person
I friend for years that I won’t forget

Also in our household
Was a friendly alley cat
The two of them slept side by side
Can’t you just picture that

The dog’s name was Princess
And I knew that she did care
Because when I came home from school
My lap would be full of shedding hair

One time my father hit me
I reacted and hit him back
I ran upstairs and shut my door
I knew that I was in for a lot of flack

Princess stood outside my door
She wouldn’t let my father near
She growled at him so intensely
That my father had to leave in fear

There came a time during World War Two
That my parents felt they had to let her go
Because both my mom and dad had to work
I never thought that I would miss her so

They took her to a kennel five miles away
I was sad and never felt so all alone
Somehow she escaped from there
And instinctively found her way back home

They brought her back a second time
And you can guess what happened then
She managed to get free from there
And found her way back home again

Happily my parents agreed that she could stay
She truly was this young man’s best friend
And she stayed with me for many years
Right up to her very end

Even to this day I miss her
Princess was her name
And to this day I’ve never had
A pet that made me feel the same

No comments:

Post a Comment